Pages

Tuesday 17 January 2017

Tarte Grav3yardgirl Swamp Queen Palette - Review and Swatches


Today I am going to do my long awaited review on the Tarte Grav3yardgirl Swamp Queen Palette. I've had this palette for a few months now and I have not worn it as much as I should. Too much makeup, too little time. I got mine from Sephora for $59 Canadian. I believe it is $46 U.S. I don't see it on Sephora's website as of tonight, but it may still be in stores. It is on Tarte's website still for full price. The palette contains 9 eyeshadows, a highlighter, a blush and a bronzer. Each eyeshadow is 1g or 0.035 oz. The highlighter, blush and bronzer are each 3.2g or 0.11 oz. All good and fair sizes at this price point. The palette smells a bit like chocolate to me. The mirror inside is huge.


The bronzer, Sweet Tea, is nice. A bit orangey for my taste and cool toned complexion, but nice nonetheless. The blush, Does this thing really work?, is unusual. A very shimmery raspberry. I can wear it, but it will not be for everyone. It is quite pigmented. Okay, the highlighter, Gator Wings, is one of the most potent highlighters that I have ever seen. It is stunning, but it is not for the faint of heart. It is disco ball city and quite icy gold.


On to the eyeshadows. On the top row above we have #SFS, Natural Peaches and Dogman. The second row contains Big Baby, Sassy Bun and Sippy Sippy. Finally, on the third row, is Haunting, Uncommon and Mancat. I feel like I need to add a summary or disclaimer to these eyeshadows as a whole before I get into them individually. To preface this, I will say that I have seen a number of reviews online saying that this palette mostly or only caters to fair skin tones. Maybe you have seen those comments as well. There is some truth to that opinion, however, I feel that many women could pull off many of these eyeshadows if they are dark skintoned. Dogman, Sassy Bun, Sippy Sippy, Haunting, Uncommon and Mancat would look gorgeous on many dark women. It's really women who are medium toned or light cool toned that will struggle with this palette. Some of these shades would simply get washed out on medium skin. If you are light skinned, but cool toned, some of these colours could look too orange on your complexion or bruise like. This palette would look best on those with a light warm skin tone (peaches and cream complexion) or dark toned skin.


Left to right in the picture above is Gator Wings (highlight), Does this thing really work? (blush) and Sweet Tea (bronzer). Gator Wings is crumbly, you will get fallout.



From left to right above is #SFS, Natural Peaches, Dogman, Big Baby and Sassy Bun. I've said it before and I will say it again. Tarte does not make good, glowy light coloured eyeshadows. They are always flat and get washed out on the skin. #SFS is one of the lightest colours in the palette and it's drab and washed out on my skin as you can see. Natural Peaches is a good crease colour on me, but I think it is meant to be a overall wash of colour on the lid? Doesn't look nice on my lid but if you have blue eyes and a peachy skin tone, hey, it may look awesome! Dogman is a very pigmented rust shade. Many people could wear this if applied properly. Big Baby. Sigh.....what a waste. Totally washed out on my skin and it is the lightest colour of the lot. I have seen this shade so many times with different names in Tarte palettes. Awful. Lastly here, Sassy Bun. It's kind of a fun shade. You could do a lot with it.


Last four shadows shown above are Sippy Sippy, Haunting, Uncommon and Mancat. These four are the highlight of palette as far as I am concerned with the exception of Sassy Bun which is also a solid eyeshadow. Sippy Sippy reminds me of  a dupe for Makeup Geek's Bada Bing. Great pigmentation. Haunting I wish was more glowy...sigh...it needs a bright eyeshadow base under it but it is a nice colour. Uncommon isn't that uncommon but it's a nice crease shade. Finally, Mancat is my favourite of the bunch. A very vibrant plum.

There we have it! Overall, I think the palette is different and some people will love it. I do not regret my purchase but I will not get as much mileage out of it as someone with a more compatible skin tone for this palette. The quality of the palette both packaging and colours is very good. Some of Tarte's best work minus a couple of the eyeshadows that fell flat for me.

I haven't tried the brush that came with it as yet.

Packaging: 10/10   
Pigmentation: Light Shades 2/10  Medium or Darker Shades: 9/10
Easy to Work With: 7.5/10
Longevity: 7.5/10
Colour Stays True: 10/10
Texture: 7.5/10
Price: 8/10
Ingredients: 8/10
Travel Worthy: 10/10 (maybe a bit big for travel but it is a face palette)
Attractiveness of Product: Depends on your skintone
Would I buy this again? Maybe
Overall Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment