Pages

Sunday 27 December 2015

Anastasia of Beverly Hills Self-Made Eye Shadow Palette - Review, Swatches and Close Dupes


I feel like a bit of a jerk doing a review of this Anastasia of Beverly Hills (ABH) Self-Made Eye Shadow palette now since it has been out for a few months and it is hard to come by at this point. This palette retails for $35 U.S. or $46 Canadian. I am happy to say that I snagged mine during the Sephora VIB sale so I got an extra 20% off. You may still be able to get these in stores (Ulta, Sephora etc.) but I think they are sold out online at those stores. Some of these shades can be purchased as singles through ABH though. I am so thrilled with this purchase and will say that in my opinion, this is the best ABH palette that they have ever put out. The palette contains 0.65g or 0.023 oz. of product. These 14 eyeshadows are phenomenal in terms of quality and the price point is excellent in my opinion.




My first impression of the palette was that the colour selection was odd but I felt I could make it work. I was going to pass on picking it up, but the reviews were just so darn good, for the price, I thought, "what the heck?" In general, I find ABH palettes to be quite colourful and mismatched sometimes. This palette is actually one of the most neutral they have ever put out! As mentioned there are 14 eyeshadows in this palette and they are from left to right and top to bottom as follows:
Pink Champagne, Metallic Plum, Self-Made, Witchy, Blush, Blossom, Buttery, Deep Purple, Treasure, Hot & Cold, Sherbert, Isla, Spirit Rock and Hot Chocolate.  



The best colours in this palette as far as I am concerned are Pink Champagne, Metallic Plum, Witchy, Blush, Deep Purple, Treasure, Sherbert, Spirit Rock and Hot Chocolate. My favourite by far is hands down Treasure. It's a less peachy version of Stila's Kitten. The only dud in here would be Buttery in my opinion. It's dry, super yellow and doesn't look like much on the eye. It's a bit sheer too.

Pink Champagne, Witchy and Blush were pleasant surprises to me. Pink Champagne looks like a straight up glitter bomb. The consistency is not chunky nor rough at all in actual fact. It applies so easily and looks like a million bucks. I wear it alone with black liner and you are ready to go party. Witchy such a cool colour it's hard to explain. It's kind of olive yet grey, gold and smoky. It doesn't look as dark on as it does in the pan and it's just gorgeous. I have done a few great looks with it. Blush is an opal shade with some green and pink in it. I have no idea why they called it Blush. It reminds me of a darker version of Makeup Geek's Rockstar.  



I want to talk about Isla for a quick second. It may be straight up mint green in the pan, but it is so subtle on the lid. If you don't like green eyeshadow, you might be ok with this one because it is not overpowering on the lid at all. It blends in with whatever other colours you are using and adds just a little dimension to things. Finally, Sherbert is a great transition colour. The rest are exactly what you would expect. Oh wait, Spirit Rock is really neat! It is a kettle black with pink shimmer. I really like this one too. Looks great with Blossom. Okay swatch time! From left to right below is: Pink Champagne, Metallic Plum, Self-Made, Witchy, Blush, Blossom and Buttery.



Bottom row of eyeshadows are as follows: Deep Purple, Treasure, Hot & Cold, Sherbert, Isla, Spirit Rock and Hot Chocolate.  


I am not joking when I say this Self-Made palette is by far one of the best palettes I have purchased this year. I cannot think of one negative to say about it except I am not keen on Buttery. The packaging is nice, sturdy and compact.

Packaging: 10/10   
Pigmentation: 10/10
Easy to Work With: 10/10
Longevity: 10/10
Colour Stays True: 10/10
Texture: 10/10 (except Buttery)
Price: 10/10 
Ingredients: 8/10
Travel Worthy: 10/10
Attractiveness of Product: 10/10
Would I buy this again? HELL YES
Overall Rating: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment