Pages

Monday 19 January 2015

DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel - Review


I had full intension of putting up a review today on some fantastic skin cream that I have discovered, but instead I am opting to do a review on the DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel. This product ticked me off and it has been bugging me for days so I have to write about it.

I got a large sample of this ages ago. I finally busted it open last week. I have used it twice and both times were total disasters. I still have a ton left and it is going in the garbage as soon as I finish this post. The first time I used it, I used way too much. The package said that the product is supposed to dissolve, moisturize and leave hair soft and touchable. Naturally, I thought I better up the anti and apply liberally. I would say that was a big mistake, but when I used a little a couple of days later, it was a nightmare as well. Use lots or a little and the effect is the same. My hair looked like a full on rat's nest or fowl's nest as my mother would say. I am sure some people at work were wondering what the %$#@ I did to my hair.

I barely know where to begin. I guess I will start by saying that the first thing I noticed was that this product sucked all of the moisture out of my hair. My hair was dry and like straw as soon as my hair was dry. That effect doesn't change until you wash your hair. Did it give me nice, touchable, soft curls? Hell no. If anything, I felt like it straightened out my hair in some areas. There was no spring, no bounce. My hair is naturally curly and frankly it would have looked better if I had put no product in it. My hair was like a stiff helmet. It was sticky, crunchy and like cement. When I washed my hair the next day, I thought maybe I used too much the first time and wanted to see what happened when I used just a little bit of product. Lo and behold, I got similar results. The curls I got stuck to each other like I had glue in my hair. At one point, it was like I had one sticky ringlet that was not combing out. Frizz? I didn't have any in the helmet, no. So I guess I should give kudos there? Nah.

I have used better gel from the drug store for $4. I am not kidding. My mind is actually blown as to why this stuff is even on the market. I have since read a lot of reviews online over the past few days and there seems to be a lot of people who genuinely like this product. There also seems to be a good 20% or more who hate it. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground. My complaints about this product are the exact same as the others who have dissed it. Dreadful stuff it is. I really don't know and couldn't say who this product would work for. I did notice a lot of people who seemed to like it noted that they have wavy, not curly hair.

Sephora sells three sizes of this product. There is a 3 oz., 12 oz. and 32 oz. for $11, $26 and $54 Canadian respectively. Not sure why I am bothering to share these details as I cannot recommend this product to a soul.

I am not kidding when I say that this is one of the worst products that I have tried in months, if not the past few years. This stuff should be in the Beauty Hall of Shame. Please drop me a comment below if you have tried this product and like it or didn't as the case may be.

Packaging: 8/10 
Easy to Work With: 0/10
Touchable Hair: 0/10
Humidity Resistance: 0/10
Hold: I can't answer this. Firm hold is an understatement. But it's holding a rat's nest that it made.
Price: 7/10
Ingredients: 8/10
Value for Money: 0/10
Would I buy this again? NO
Overall Rating: 0/10

No comments:

Post a Comment