Pages

Thursday 20 November 2014

tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Full Coverage Foundation SPF 15 - Review and Swatch


Some of you might be wondering where on earth I disappeared to last week. I was super busy and then I went to New York for a mini vacation and shopping trip for a few days. I have a sizable beauty haul to do for you guys from that trip soon. I will try and make that my next post. Anyway, I'm back now!

Even though I love my Estee Lauder foundations, I was feeling restless and wanted to try something new. I recently picked up this foundation and have been experimenting with it. I must say that I don't think this foundation is for me. I smell a return to Sephora for this baby really soon, perhaps tomorrow! On top of that, I am having a hell of a time finding a colour that works for me in this line. I find that a lot of the shades in this foundation line are super yellow or orange. I have a very flat complexion and I look ridiculous in anything too yellow, rosy or orange.

I was second guessing the shade that I picked out in the store for myself. I was thinking Fair-Light Honey but the peach undertone scared me. What a dumb thing for me to think and say - that a foundation colour scared me! Sometimes I am crazy. I digress...so anyway I let the Sephora sales associate pick out a shade for me. She chose Light-Medium Honey for me. Well that was a disaster. I told her it looked dark for me that I had concerns about the peach undertone. She assured me it was a suitable colour and that it should work for me. I wore it a couple of times and it was just so orange! Ahhhhhh. I asked my husband what he thought of the colour on the second day I wore it and he said I looked like I had put fake and bake spray tan all over my face. Well that settled that! I marched right back to Sephora and exchanged it.

Dummy me got another sales associate to help me pick out another colour. This time they chose Light Neutral for me. This colour isn't working either. It's a bit too light I think and too yellow all at the same time. The colour aside, I have other issues with this foundation. When I apply it, it does appear to be full coverage and I am happy with the coverage. After a few hours though (long before the 12-hour mark) I notice that the foundation seems to totally disappear from my chin and around and on my nose area. Some of it likes to settle into my laugh lines and I didn't notice that with my Estee Lauder foundations. And no, I haven't been blowing my nose or wiping my face I swear. It also comes off on your fingertips noticeably if you lightly touch your face even after you have had it on for several hours.

The only part of my face that still has the full coverage foundation on it at the end of the day is my forehead. I am really use to my Estee Lauder holding up non-stop all day so this tarte foundation is falling short of my foundation expectations. My other beef with this product is that as the day goes on I find that it starts to look cakey on my cheeks and on my nose. It gets kind of clumpy and looks like my skin is all dried out in those areas. Not attractive.

On the up side, the ingredients are good. It blends well and spreads easily. It's very comfortable to wear for most of the day. My skin feels moisturized when I wear it. The product feels like a whipped mousse when I put it on. Some people might like that.

Overall though, I just don't like it. For $49 Canadian and $38 U.S. I expect a lot more. That being said this tube is 50 ml! That is a lot more than the standard 30 ml foundation bottles! I applaud tarte for giving lots of product and for the cute wood cap.

Below is a picture of Light Neutral on my arm. As you can see, it's too yellow. On the left is it blended out and on the right is a dollop of it. My arms need waxing stat, I know, please forgive me.

 
 
Packaging: 9/10 
Pigmentation: 6/10 (it fades as the day progresses)  
Easy to Work With: 10/10
Longevity: 6/10
Texture: 10/10 
Price: 7.5/10
Ingredients: 9/10
Travel Worthy: 10/10 
Attractiveness of Product: 4/10
Would I buy this again? NO
Overall Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment