Pages

Tuesday 4 November 2014

Sephora Collection Pro Flawless Airbrush #56 Foundation Brush - Review



I bought this brush online at Sephora. When I got it, the first thing I noticed was how crazy small this brush is. For $40 Canadian and $32 U.S., and being a foundation brush, I expected something a heck of a lot bigger. I am used to working with the Sigma F80, F82 and F84 brushes which are easily double the size of this brush if not triple. I recently had to chuck my F80 brush because it was beyond raggedy and I was looking for something new on the menu so to speak.



What I like about this brush is that it really does work your foundation well into your skin and it is fabulous at blending out uneven areas of application and not leaving any brush marks. It also gets into smaller or curved areas of your face fairly easily. This brush does give the best overall foundation application look of any brush that I own. The brush itself is super lightweight and compact even though the handle is really long. The bristles are super soft.


I hope I have this brush a really long time. Longer than the 3-4 years that I had my F80 (used maybe 25% of the time over those years). I say this mostly because I think for a brush this small, $40 is steep! Part of me feels a little ripped off. I have second guessed myself about this purchase and whether or not it was wise. I wish I would have waited to buy it in the U.S. for $32 or got it when Sephora has a 20% off sale. As you can see, I have an issue with the price point. Also, this is a Sephora brush and I don't know where they as brand get off charging that price. I guess it is justified as people like me buy them...


The brush is easier to clean than my Sigma Kabuki brushes, but that is likely because this is a much smaller brush. While it is easier to clean, it gets dirty and beyond another use after 2 to 3 uses. So I am washing it often. It soaks up foundation like mad and then the bristles clump together. This is not a pro to this brush. With my Sigma brushes I can get 5 to 7 uses out of them before I have to wash them.

In addition, it takes longer to apply your foundation with this brush simply because it is so small! I can whip around my face in no time flat with my Sigma Kabuki's. This brush takes a lot longer.


In short, this brush works great in terms of foundation application. You have to be constantly washing though and that is a pain in ass. This brush is very overpriced in my opinion. You also need to have a little more time on your hands every day to use this brush and plan for that if you are used to using bigger Kabuki style brushes. For these reasons, my feelings are somewhat ambiguous about this brush. There is one really big pro (the whole purpose of the brush being flawless application), yet there are a whole bunch of secondary issue cons.

I have no issues playing a good deal of money for a good, solid brush. I own a crapload of MAC brushes and Lord knows they aren't cheap. Those brushes are easy to clean, can be wiped off and used again and again in between cleanings. Oh, and they last forever. That remains to be seen with this brush, but I will be sure to keep you all updated.

Packaging: 6/10 (lightweight yet really long handle and super small brush head!)    
Easy to Work With: 9/10 (point off for how long it takes to use)
Longevity: ?
Usefulness: 8/10 (2 points off for being high maintenance cleaning-wise)
Texture/Softness: 10/10
Price: 6/10
Travel Worthy: 7/10
Overall Rating: 7.5/10
Would I buy this again? ???????????? Not Sure

1 comment: