Pages

Wednesday 12 March 2014

Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette - Review and Swatches


This blog post has been a long time in the making! I bought this palette back in October and I am only getting to the review now. Crazy! Hourglass came out with this palette in the Fall, just in time for the Christmas Season. I am sure it was sold out before Christmas. I snatched mine up while I could. This palette was $67.00 Canadian (ouch!) and $58 U.S. You get 3 of the famous Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powders - Dim Light, Incandescent Light and Radiant Light. Incandescent Light was a limited edition shade, but the other two are permanent.


Each powder is 0.116 oz. or 3.3g. The full sized powders are $52 Canadian or $45 U.S. each and are 0.35 oz. each. I like the idea that I got to try out 3 powders without shelling out $156! I don't think I would have shelled that out. Maybe over time, but not at once! Okay, so where should we start? I liked 2 of the 3 powders very much - Incandescent Light and Radiant Light. Incandescent Light is basically a highlighter. It is gorgeous! You need very little to see an effect on your face. I think I am still applying too much. When light hits your face it's "wow". The amount I have in the palette will last me forever.....


From left to right we have Dim Light, Incandescent Light and Radiant Light. Radiant Light is also gorgeous and is the best of the three. You could wear it alone as a bronzer. It is shimmery so you wouldn't necessarily want it as a contour colour. You can seriously layer Radiant Light over any blush or the blush over Radiant Light if you prefer, and it's instant va-va-voom. Very St. Tropez. Look out J. Lo. A beautiful sun-kissed glow on your cheeks every time! While you shouldn't be heavy handed with Radiant Light, it is not a heavy colour or mega intense, so this is a great product for beginners who are getting used to bronzer if you can stomach the price tag. Even if you don't apply it 100% evenly, it still looks good.


This picture looks a bit creepy.....from left to right Radiant Light, Incandescent Light and Dim Light. Then below on my arm in a different order - Dim Light, Incandescent Light and Radiant Light. All three powders are finely milled and soft. I do understand the fuss over these puppies.



Dim Light. I have used this repeatedly and it just isn't for me. It's too dark to use as a face powder. Makes me look like George Hamilton. Some of my younger readers might not get the joke. Just google his name if you don't get it. Dim Light does seem to blur or mask skin imperfections, but it is just too peachy beige for me and makes my skin look thicker??? It's not a good look for me. It holds up all day by the way, they all do. Maybe I need to try Diffused Light or something. So I recommend two of three. I realize one is a limited edition colour - sorry! However, I believe Luminous Light, which is a permanent shade, is similar.

Since the palette is gone...if you want to try out one of these powders in the full sized format, I would say get Radiant Light. Second choice, get the Luminous Light. Maybe they will bring the palette back one day? I will likely buy a full sized other coloured powder at some point from the line, I am just not yet sure which one. Any suggestions?

Packaging: 10/10
Pigmentation: 10/10
Easy to Work With: 10/10 
Longevity: 10/10 
Texture: 10/10
Price: 6/10
Ingredients: 7/10
Travel Worthy: 10/10
Attractiveness of Product: 10/10
Would I buy this again? Yes
Overall Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment