Pages

Saturday 13 April 2013

Sigma Beauty Eye Shadow Base in Persuade - Review, Swatch and Ingredients


First of all, I have to say that I was sooooo disappointed with this product. All of these bloggers were fawning over how wonderful this new Sigma product is and I got sucked into the hype. I love my MAC Painterly Paint Pot like nobody's business, but it creases. I have to use a primer with it. Well in walks the Sigma Eye Shadow Bases and everyone was saying that this is the first true creaseless eyeshadow base and that you could even wear on its own! This was exciting for me! I had to get my hands on this. Just imagine, a quick swipe and blend and I am out the door!


Talk about too good to be true. I tried just that one morning before work. I dipped my finger into the pot and blended it onto my eyelids. I had slight creasing by the time I got on the commuter train. By lunchtime, I had a full on crease on both lids. By home time, crusty bits started to form in some areas. Wow! That is all I can say. Creaseless, my ass. Because I wanted to make sure I had tested all theories, I tried it again yesterday with eyeshadow on top of it. Guess what? Crease city and melted eyeshadow in my crease. Talk about embarrassing.


Today, I used a primer underneath it and eyeshadow on top of it. No issues. Why? Because I used a primer....Guess what? I may as well stick with my MAC Painterly Paint Pot. "Now come on Alexis", I can hear you say now, "MAC's Paint Pots are more expensive, this is a better deal and hey, you have super oily eyelids, that's not my problem!". Okay, you may have a small point. But let's do some basic math to start with. Sigma Eyeshadow bases are $13 U.S. and MAC's Paint Pots are $18.50 U.S. and $22 Canadian. Unless you live in Minnesota and near their store, you have to pay to have Sigma to ship you their products. So that $13 easily balloons to $18.50 and beyond. MAC stores are everywhere in Canada and the U.S. if you live near a major city. MAC also does a lot of free shipping if you have a code etc.


I will be the first to admit that I have super oily lids. If you don't have oily lids, hey maybe this product won't crease for you. But don't give me some blarney about this being crease-proof. I am the test my friends. Persuade is an ok dupe of Painterly. Painterly is a much heavier and thicker product. On the one hand, I like that Persuade is so lightweight on the eyelids. Sometimes Painterly can be a bit thick and feel heavier than it should on. There is a neat cap in Sigma's Eye Shadow Bases which is supposed to keep them from drying out. Perhaps that is a good idea. I find this product watery though and I can't see it drying out cap or no cap anytime soon. My MAC Paint Pots do get a bit dry sometimes but nothing extreme. Just warm them up with a finger worse case scenario.


Even though the overall product weight of this product is identical to a Paint Pot (0.17oz/5g), I somehow feel a bit ripped off. This product is so thin and lightweight. It is smooth and soft and easy to work with though. In terms of consistency, there is no comparison. Painterly looks and feels more rich. Painterly also really covers your eyelid in terms of providing a base giving eyeshadow an opaque, rich look. Persuade does not give much coverage and does not give off that effect. Painterly is more pink toned.

I have taken a picture of the ingredients list for all of you. The ingredients are not too bad actually. I hope you can read that. I bought the Bare Kit by the way. I was going to buy two of the colours in this kit and one from another kit when I realized, what the hell I may as well try one kit and get a free brush. Reviews of the whole kit to follow shortly. Okay, other beefs about this product.The pot is plastic. MAC Paint Pots use glass and I love glass as it keeps products fresher. Also, glass is more environmentally friendly. Hey, there is also Back to MAC....

The Sigma Eyeshadow Base Pots are also huge! So ugly! Awkward! Cheap looking! Bulky. Not travel friendly. I think I better stop now. I will use up this product but I will not repurchase. I have higher hopes for the other two I have because I want the "colours" if that make sense. I will just have to use a primer with them. I actually am in the midst of reviewing another Sigma product and I am very impressed with it. Review to follow very soon. So for me with Sigma, it can be hit and it can be miss so far. I am considering getting the Resort Palette. The reviews seem excellent for it, but hey, so were the reviews for this Eye Shadow Base! Hmmph.

Packaging: 2/10  (the 2 is for the inner cap)
Pigmentation: 3/10  
Easy to Work With: 8/10
Longevity: 1/10
Texture: 5/10 (feels smooth and light but there is no substance)
Price: 6/10
Ingredients: 7/10
Travel Worthy: 2/10
Attractiveness of Product: 5/10
Would I buy this again? Nope
Overall Rating: 4/10 (being mega generous)

**Product Update 10/23/2014 - this product ended up redeeming itself to me a bit through a happy accident - http://mymakeupissues.blogspot.ca/2014/10/two-products-that-i-have-changed-my.html

2 comments:

  1. What people don't understand about this product is that it's a "base" not a "primer." It's meant to create a clean base for your eye shadow rather than something to prevent creasing. Hence why you need a primer underneath if you have oily lids especially x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I agree with you completely. My complaint is that so many Sigma affliate bloggers are claiming its creaseless and its not even close.

      Delete