Pages

Saturday 12 January 2013

Makeup Geek Eyeshadows MUG Appletini, Cupcake and Nautica - Review and Swatches

 
I have 3 more Makeup Geek eyeshadows to share with you today. They are left to right in the picture above - Appletini, Cupcake and Nautica. I have mixed feelings about two of them. I am planning to get around to a best and worst of MUG eyeshadows list hopefully within the next month or so. Some of their eyeshadows are so gorgeous and are fantastic quality. Others leave me feeling "meh". I still have some in my stash to try out so I will keep you posted.
 
Okay, first let's talk about Appletini. I saw this colour on MUG's website and I was in love. Had to have it, loved the swatch. Now, in person, I am not feeling the wow factor. The colour is nice, but I just don't think it's for me. Personal taste. I didn't love the colour on me. It's a shimmer. I am sure it would look lovely on someone else. I find the formula for this one a bit chalky but it stays on your eye forever! Very long lasting.
 
Cupcake. I actually really love this colour and I don't have anything like it in my collection. It's a matte. Some people have compared it to MAC's limited edition Soft Flower. I don't own Soft Flower so it is all speculation on my part. I have worn this in the crease with a neutral lid colour and it looks fantastic. I think it would be a brilliant eyeshadow to blend out harsh crease colours or very colourful crease colours on the brow bone. It would be a pleasant change from the standard light or medium warm browns that everyone uses for that purpose. This is a definite keeper for me and will be a repurchase when the the time comes.  Very long wearing. Please see swatches below.
 
 Appletini, Cupcake and Nautica
 
Nautica is a very pretty colour but I have not fallen in love with it. I have too many gorgeous dark blues from Urban Decay and Tarte which put this one on the back burner. I got this one around Christmas time for I think $2.99 when MUG was having a sale. The normal price of these eyeshadows is $5.99 U.S. Nautica's pigmentation is ok. It does fade a bit after wearing it for a few hours and I find this shimmer a bit crumbly and it has some minor fallout issues.
 
As a little aside, MUG advertises that they don't have parabens in their eyeshadows. I have noticed lately when I have ordered some new colours that some of the packaging is now listing parabens under "may contain". The old packaging never used to say that. I am not sure what is going on, but I thought I would mention it.  
 
Appletini
Packaging: 10/10
Pigmentation: 8/10
Easy to Work With: 8/10
Longevity: 10/10
Texture: 6/10
Price: 10/10
Ingredients: 10/10 (? - see above)
Travel Worthy: 10/10
Attractiveness of Product: 7/10
Would I buy this again? No (not crazy about the colour)
Overall Rating: 7.5/10
 
Cupcake
Packaging: 10/10
Pigmentation: 8/10
Easy to Work With: 9/10
Longevity: 10/10
Texture: 9/10
Price: 10/10
Ingredients: 10/10 (? - see above)
Travel Worthy: 10/10
Attractiveness of Product: 8/10
Would I buy this again? Yes, for sure 
Overall Rating: 9/10
 
Nautica
Packaging: 10/10
Pigmentation: 8/10
Easy to Work With: 6/10
Longevity: 6/10
Texture: 6/10
Price: 10/10
Ingredients: 10/10 (? - see above)
Travel Worthy: 10/10
Attractiveness of Product: 8/10
Would I buy this again? No, many prettier shimmery dark blues out there 
Overall Rating: 7/10

1 comment:

  1. I've been waiting for an honest review on the MUG eyeshadows. Thank you! The packaing says "may contain" parabens? What's that about? Eithe it does or it doesn't.

    ReplyDelete