Pages

Monday 15 October 2012

NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils in Milk, Horse Raddish, Pots & Pans and Purple - Review and Swatches


Today, I am going to review the four NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils that I own in 604 Milk, 607 Horse Raddish, 603 Pots & Pans and finally, 618 Purple. I have had Milk the longest and it is by far the most practical and useful. I will tell you why in a minute. The others I have acquired over the last couple of years. They are very creamy and do not seem to harden or "go off". I keep mine in a dark, dry drawer in my vanity table. I don't think I will ever finish one of these pencils. You don't need much product when you use them and I don't reach for mine all that often, but they are handy to have. They retail for around $3-$5 U.S. and Canadian. The only place I have seen these for sale in Canada is at Lovell Drugs and sometimes Rexall or Pharma Plus has them. In the U.S., I think they are a dime a dozen and you can get them at many major drug store chains. I haven't seen them in Walgreens though and I have checked in a few states. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken.

For those of you who are not familiar with this product, basically they are a creamy eyeshadow base. I suppose you could wear them alone as eyeshadows if you wish, but I don't know anyone who does. Like I said, they are super creamy and they crease like crazy. I don't care how dry your eyelids are, you need eyeshadow primer with these puppies. The idea is that you rub some on your finger or use a MAC 217 brush to apply them to you eyelid up to the crease as a base and then pat eyeshadow on top of them. You will need to blend out the edges once you have applied this product. A little goes a long way so start small and build. They intensify eyeshadow and give it a sticky base to cling to so it does not wear off easily. Milk is my fave. At $4ish, it is hard to go wrong and if you are on a budget, you can easily afford to collect a few here and there. A cheaper alternative to MAC Paint Pots, but they are not as good. The NYX Pencils do have parabens in them and some other funky ingredients. As a result, I don't use them that often.

Anyway, as I was saying about Milk, it is great for using under nude colours or pinks or ices as it gives you a glowy doll eyed look or big eyed look if you prefer. It really makes your eyes stand out. Please see my swatches below:

                    Milk, Horse Raddish, Pots & Pans and Purple

Not a lot of companies make a white eyeshadow base which is why Milk is a good one to get. Horse Raddish is a decent option too especially when it is St. Patrick's Day and you have a green look you wish to sport. Pots & Pans is a light silver, and while it is a great colour to have, other companies make similar eyeshadow bases with better ingredients, but also those other company's products usually come with a heavier price tag. The Purple is my least favourite of the bunch. The pencil itself looks navy and it has a weird sheen to it. It doesn't look great with a lot of purple eyeshadows. The next NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil I am planning to acquire is Strawberry Milk. I hope this was helpful for you all!

Overall Rating: 9/10 (minus 1 for scary ingredients)

No comments:

Post a Comment