Pages

Saturday 25 February 2012

Bare Escentuals bareMinerals READY Eyeshadow 4.0 The Truth - Review and Swatches


As some of you who read my blog might recall, I went to town a couple of weeks ago and trashed the Bare Escentuals bareMinerals 9-piece Get Started Set. I may have gotten a tad carried away with myself, but I stand by every word I said. As I had also mentioned in that blog, I had a desire to try some of the Bare Escentuals eyeshadow palettes despite what I thought about their "foundation". I have since acquired two of their eyeshadow palettes. Today, I will be reviewing their new Ready eyeshadow 4.0 in The Truth which is a cool brown neutral palette. I apologize for the pictures above as I don't think my camera is the best and my cosmetic photography could do with some work. Top photo is the palette (sorry for the shadow) in top left Serendipitous, top right Magnetism, bottom left Fate and bottom right Apropos. The second picture is me wearing the palette out today. The picture does not do the palette justice. The colours are also a lot darker on than they appear in the photo. The third photo are the swatches from top to bottom, Apropos, Fate, Magnetism and Serendipitous. Each swatch is cooler in real life, but looks warmer in the picture.

Bare Escentuals (BE) products are supposed to be more "natural" than most cosmetics so you do get spared a lot of chemicals in their eyeshadows. Kudos for that. The black case is nice and thin and sleek which is good for travel or popping into your purse. Each eyeshadow is 1.25g and to put that in perspective, each MAC eyeshadow is 1.5g and each eyeshadow from the Urban Decay Naked Palette is 1.3g. So basically the amount of eyeshadow you get is decent. The colour I like the least in this palette is Serendipitous which is described by BE as delicate peach. I hardly see any peach myself. The colour payoff is substandard in my opinion. You can barely see it swatched above. Magnetism is described as brushed taupe and is my fave here. Fate is a light mocha glaze and Apropos is a twinkling espresso with silver flecks.

It takes a lot for me to get excited about a brown neutral palette. I am just not that blown away by anything as mundane as brown eyeshadow. I only purchased this palette because the browns are cool, not warm, and TiffanyD did some nice things with it on her makeup tutorial blog. I have to say that I do like this palette and if I feel inclined to wear browns this may be my new go to palette. The mirror in this thing is huge. You also get two eyeshadow placement insert instructions in the palette which I think is always a nice bonus in case you are starting out with makeup or need inspiration. The usual useless applicator came with the palette. I guess a useless applicator is better than nothing.

Now let's talk price. This palette is $30 U.S. and is $38 in Canada. I managed to score mine for just under $30 Cdn. tax in and shipping in, online. I know how to scoop a deal. I think the price is fair in general (men wouldn't) but it is certainly not cheap by any means. This is way better quality stuff than Bare Minerals or BE "foundation". Don't get me started on that again. These eyeshadows blend really well and with the exception of the lightest shade, they are nicely pigmented. I was surprised. They are super smooth, creamy and stay where you put them. They feel really soft, light and nice on the eye. I use primer (never leave home without it) and MAC's painterly paint pot when I wear this palette and the colours look great and last all day. Good job BE for a change!

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment